Career and Grad School Planning
Applying to Graduate School
Before Senior Year
- Take research methods as soon as possible and get involved in a research practicum!
- Consider applying for summer research opportunities
- Develop relationships with your professors
- Consider submitting proposals to present research at conferences. See the Research Experience Course Resources for a list of conferences.
- Apply to the Pew Honors Society. They help students of all majors prepare for graduate school and provide financial support for related expenses (i.e. GRE, application costs).
The Application Process
The resources in this section will help you prepare your graduate school application(s). This section includes links to an application-planning timeline, advice on researching and choosing a program, a summary of needed materials and how to develop them, rhetorical principles for building a statement of purpose, and suggestions for how to handle competing offers. Visit the Alumni Connections page to contact graduates that may be able to provide you with connections and/or information about a graduate program or a business.
- How to prepare for behavior based job interviews
- Preparing for the interview process of Graduate School
- Survival guide for applying to graduate school
- How to prepare for the interview process
- How to ask for a letter of recommendation
- General information about the application process
- Common mistakes in Grad school applications
- Application Timeline and Tasks
- Begin preparing to take the GRE
- How to structure your statement of purpose
Preparing a CV
The curriculum vitae, also called a CV or vita, is an overview of your life's accomplishments, most specifically those that are relevant to the academic realm. In the United States, the curriculum vitae is used almost exclusively when pursuing an academic job. The curriculum vitae should be updated regularly and reflect the developments in a scholar's career. Below are some links that will help you create and enhance your CV.
Other Helpful Links